Holy Trinity Cathedral is the pearl of the architectural ensemble of the Kremlin. The five-domed snow-white cathedral became the fourth temple built on this site, and the very first one appeared here in the X century, by order of Princess Olga.
The construction of the Christian church at that time is in itself a remarkable fact, because then Christianity did not yet have the status of a state religion. How the wooden Trinity Church looked is not known, since neither its descriptions nor the images have been preserved. The first cathedral stood in Except until the XII century, until it was destroyed by a strong fire.
After the fire, it was decided to build a stone temple. In 1138, he was laid by the grandson of Kiev Prince Vladimir Monomakh - Novgorod Prince Vsevolod Mstislavovich, revered by the Church as the blessed Vsevolod of Pskov. The construction was headed by Smolensk architects invited to Pskov. At that time, Pskov did not have its own school of architecture, it was formed later.
The second temple became the place where Prince Alexander Nevsky (1242) was in prayer before the start of the battle on Lake Peipsi. Pskov was at that time a border town and was often at the center of military conflicts. For a long time, the sword of Prince Dovmont was kept in the cathedral, after his conversion to Orthodoxy with the name Timofey. Nowadays, his sword can be seen in the city museum-reserve.
In the Middle Ages, in front of the temple was Vechevaya Square, where the main events of the public life of the city took place. Here they called princes to the Pskov throne.
In 1682 it was decided to build a new cathedral. Construction lasted for 17 long years and was completed in 1699.
The fourth cathedral was an order of magnitude superior to its predecessor in height and reached 78 m. From the documents of the beginning of the last century, it is known that the heads of Holy Trinity Cathedral were visible from a distance of 56 versts.
A few decades after construction, the massive structure gave an uneven draft that required additional reinforcement. In 1770, built around the quadrup buttresses. Then the outer walls of the cathedral were plastered and he acquired the look of a modern building.
In 1935, the cathedral was closed, and an anti-religious museum was built inside it.
Before the start of World War II, church services in the cathedral were not held. After the occupation of Pskov by German troops in 1941, the new administration allowed believers to return to the temple. Since then, the Trinity Cathedral has never been closed.
The snow-white cathedral was built in the Russian-Byzantine style. Five massive chapters add height to the temple. An interesting fact is that they are not in the middle, but closer to the eastern part of the cathedral. According to Christian tradition, the five domes symbolize Jesus Christ with the four Evangelists. The central dome glitters with gold, while the other chapters are painted gray.
There are no wall paintings inside the cathedral - in the 17th century, a fire completely destroyed them. However, the interiors of the temple are decorated with a huge iconostasis with gilded carvings. The relics of Christian saints, icons whose writing dates back to the 16th century, attract attention. A special place is occupied by the rich cancer, where the remains of St. Vsevolod of Pskov are kept.