Today the Holy Spirit Convent is a real decoration of the Vitebsk land with rich spiritual content. However, in its history, it has undergone many tests.
The monastery was built at the end of the XIV century, most likely, on the initiative of Juliana of Tver, the second wife of Prince Olgred. According to legend, Juliana took monastic vows, but soon died and was buried here in the Holy Spirit Monastery.
The monastery experienced the first oppression at the end of the XVI century, and on the threshold of the XVIII century. It was rebuilt as a Uniate Basilian. After the repentance of the Uniates returned to the bosom of Orthodoxy in 1839, the women's Holy Spirit Monastery again became Orthodox. In those days, the monastery was a monastery, where cells for nuns were located in two-story stone buildings. At the monastery there was also a paid board for girls.
By the middle of the XIX century. the monastery fell into neglect: in 1855 there were only six elderly nuns left. In 1857 the monastery was abolished. Soon the place of repentance was turned into a place of punishment: a women's prison was opened in the building of the Holy Spirit Monastery. However, within the walls of the monastery the prison existed only until the end of the XIX century, and was transferred to another place. Now there is a women's diocesan school. All monastic buildings were rebuilt, and in 1902, instead of the main building of the former monastery, a new building of the school was raised.
It seemed that the monastery was forever erased from the pages of the history of Vitebsk. However, on May 3, 2001, the Synod of the Belarusian Orthodox Church blessed to restore the Holy Spirit Convent. The cells of the nuns, the refectory and house church in honor of Holy Equal-to-the-Apostles Princess Olga are now located in the buildings of the complex of the cultural and spiritual center at the foot of the Assumption Mountain on Tolstoy Street. In 2010-12, a new one-domed church of the Holy Spirit was erected on the territory of the monastery.