The Zamkovaya street of the Belarusian city of Vitebsk, 300 meters long, is located at the junction of the Zheleznodorozhny and Oktyabrsky districts of the city. It is considered one of the oldest in the city. Building on the site of the street existed in the XI-XII centuries. Finally, the street was formed on the territory of the Lower Castle in the XIV-XV centuries. Its first official name as one of the streets of the city of Vitebsk was recorded in 1522 and sounded like the Great Street Road.
The share of this street fell numerous renaming. Not long staying the Great road street, she became just great. Then she got the name Zamkova. In the XVII-XVIII centuries, it was renamed Dominican - the street led to the place where St. Nicholas Cathedral was located. The temple passed from one denomination to another, at one time belonged to the Dominicans, from the order of which the street name went. In the XIX century, the street again returned the name of the Castle. In 1922 for several months it was called Trotsky Street, in 1923 it became Zamkova again, and after the murder of Kirov in 1934, the street was named after the Soviet political figure. Once again, Zamkova Street began in 1973 on the eve of the 1000th anniversary of the city. This is the name she still has.
Zamkova Street has preserved the memory of Vitebsk castles. Is that before she had a somewhat curved track.
Now it is built up with 3 - 4-storey buildings. Here you can see the Church of the Annunciation, the National Academic Drama Theater. Yakub Kolas, hotel "Vitebsk", the central department store and other buildings.