Holy Pokrovsky Cathedral is not without reason considered the main among the Orthodox believers of Vitebsk. History has prepared a difficult way for the temple. But time put everything in its place, and today hundreds of people come to the cathedral to worship the relics of the saints and ask for the intercession of the icon of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos.
The majestic cathedral was built in 1814 as the church of a Catholic Trinitarian monastery. However, already in 1847 the monastery was closed, and the cathedral was transferred to the Orthodox department. The building of the former church remained empty for a long time. Finally, in 1858, it was given to the Orthodox Church, and its restructuring began into an Orthodox church. The works were completed in 1865. During the construction work, no major changes were made to the architecture of the temple. The church was consecrated in honor of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos. On the anniversary of the 300th anniversary of the house of the Romanovs in 1913, the Intercession Church was rebuilt again. This time, a drum with a dome was built over the central part of the temple. Two towers were also built on and the shape of the pediment was changed from triangular to semicircular.
In 1931, the Intercession Church was closed by the Soviet authorities. During the German occupation, some temples of the city reopened. In August 1941, the relics of St. Euphrosyne of Polotsk, which were previously stored in the city Museum of Atheism, were transferred to the Pokrovsky Church. Relics of sv. Euphrosinia was located in the Intercession Church until October 22, 1943, when they were transferred to the Polotsk St. Sophia Cathedral. During the liberation of the city by Soviet troops were damaged tower, dome and roof. In the post-war period, a pre-trial detention center was located in the former residential monastic building under the Intercession Church. The temple itself was slowly collapsing. In the 1980s, the abandoned building of the temple was going to be destroyed. But this was prevented by the restructuring that began in the USSR. The Vitebsk intelligentsia, united in the club “Uzgor’e” held 40 subbotniki to clear the building. In 1986, it was decided to restore the building of the temple. In 1987, restoration began, and already on October 14, 1990, on the feast of the Protection of the Most Holy Theotokos, the first service was held in the church. Restoration of the Holy Protection Cathedral was completed in 1992.
Now the cathedral has a three-part type. This type of Orthodox church, which is characterized by the presence of 3 elements: the bell tower, refectory, temple (main volume).
On the facade of the cathedral there are a number of wall paintings that substantially adorn the facade. In the center (top to bottom) are depicted the Holy Trinity and the Protection of the Virgin. On the right, we see the Dormition and the icon of the Mother of God “Vladimirskaya” carried by angels with the saints Peter and Fevronia of Murom (Orthodox patrons of family, love and faithfulness) coming before her. On the left, the plot of the Nativity of the Virgin is made, and below is the Crucifixion with the upcoming Mother of God and the Apostle John the Theologian. Closer to the entrance to the right and left, the archangels Michael and Gabriel stand facing him, as if greeting the parishioners and inviting to prayer those who are not yet in the temple.